How to buy Hacks, Leaks, and Revelations, and how to get it for free
Today, my book Hacks, Leaks, and Revelations: The Art of Analyzing Hacked and Leaked Data is available for sale wherever books are sold! My goal with this book is to teach journalists, researchers, and activists all the skills they need to download and analyze any datasets they get their hands on, finding all of the juicy revelations they might contain. No prior experience is required. You can think of following along with my book as taking a complete course where you'll download real leaked datasets, and then (by following alongside the exercises) learn the tools and coding required to analyze them.
The paperback costs about $50 and the ebook costs about $40. However, I don't want the price to be a barrier to access to anyone who needs this information. For this reason, I also decided to release the book under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) license. In other words, I'm giving away the book online for free.
How to buy Hacks, Leaks, and Revelations
Here are a few ways you can buy a copy of my book:
- Buy directly from the publisher: If you order the book directly from No Starch Press, you can get 25% off until January 15 using the discount code HLR25. No Starch sells physical books and ebooks, and the physical book comes with the ebook for free.
- Buy from your local indie bookshop: If you have a local independent bookshop you like, go in and let them know you want to buy my book. They can order a copy of it for you, and they get some of the money.
- Buy from Bookshop.org to support indie bookshops: If you order online from Bookshop.org, they'll ship it to you and a portion of the profit will go towards indie bookshops.
- Buy from Amazon, if you must: If really want to get it from Amazon, it's available there too (like everything else). Here's the Kindle book, and here's the print book.
How to get it for free
You can read entire Hacks, Leaks, and Revelations in its entirety on the book's website. Start reading here, at the table of contents. Enjoy!
If you find my book useful and enjoyable, and can afford it, consider buying a copy. The physical book is a lot nicer to read than the online versuib, and if you buy the ebook you can get it in PDF, EPUB and MOBI formats, allowing you to read it on ebook readers.
Other ways to help
If you want to support Hacks, Leaks, and Revelations and get more people to read it, here are some thing you can do:
- Ask your local library to get it: I did this myself and it was easy! Go to your public library, talk to a librarian, and request that they get a copy of the book. The ISBN-13 number is 978-1718503120. With any luck, it will show up on the shelves there. If you're a student, you can try the same at your school library.
- Goodreads: If you use Goodreads, head over to my book's Goodreads page and mark it as "Want to Read," or as "Reading" if you have a copy. Once you're done, give it a rating and review. The more people do these things, the more Goodreads recommendation algorithm will show it to others.
- Amazon: Give my book a rating and/or review on Amazon. This will make it rise in the rankings, more people will be exposed to it, and so forth.
Update January 14: Instead of offering a PDF download, I've made the entire book available on the website at hacksandleaks.com.